Monday, December 12, 2011

week # 8 of meal planning

Goood afternoon all! How is everyone doing? Getting Christmas shopping done? Starting Christmas shopping??

Last week's meals were pretty darn tasty. I shouldn't have held out for so long before making the Scallop & Shrimp Newburg Casserole because it was SOO tasty. I used white rice instead of brown because that's what I had and it tasted terrific.

The Lazy Sunday casserole tasted okay - it wasn't the best meal I've ever had. It kind of reminded me of a pot roast - except using sausage instead of a roast.

The Parmesan, Tomato - Basil soup was FANTASTIC. It was very rich but hit the spot yesterday when I wasn't feeling 100%.

This week - here's what I've got on the 'schedule':

Monday - Zesty Rice & Beef from a one-pot cookbook that I forgot to bring with me and can not find online. Recipe to come!
(which I will probably make tomorrow because I realized I have a Habitat for Humanity meeting tonight that I had forgotten about...)

// edit: The cookbook is called 365 Easy One-Dish Recipes & you can find is on Amazon here
.

Recipe:

1 lb lean ground round steak
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2-1/2 C cooked rice
1 (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 (8 oz) package cubed Velveeta cheese
1 C buttery cracker crumbs
1/2 C chopped pecans or walnuts
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook beef, onion, and bell pepper in large skillet or roasting pan over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain well.

Add rice, corn, stewed tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.

Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Spoon into sprayed 9 x 13" baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs, pecans and butter in bowl. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake for 25 minutes or until casserole is bubbly hot.

Serves 8.

end edit.//

Tuesday - had nothing planned, so leftovers

Wednesday - Cheesy Chicken Pasta Primavera from Ginger Lemon Girl's blog

Thursday - Italian Rice & Sausage (source unknown - recipe below)

Friday - leftovers!

I plan to Make Giardelli's White Chocolate Creme Brulee at some point this week.

I can not find where I pulled the Italian Rice & Sausage recipe, but here it is:

1-1/2 lbs. sweet or hot Italian sausage
1 - 26 oz large can diced tomatoes
1/2 C water
1 large green pepper
1 large red pepper
1 large sweet vadalia onion
3 C minute rice
2 Tbsp ground oregano
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Saute the onions and peppers in the olive oil until tender. Remove the sausage from the casing and cook until brown. Add the canned tomatoes, ground oregano, and water. Bring to a boil, add rice and fold in to tomato/sausage mixture. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve.

I also plan on getting in to the holiday spirit and making some presents to hand out to the neighbors. I am going to make some chocolate dipped pretzel rods with sprinkles - as found here on Pinterest.

I hope everyone is enjoying their last few weeks before Christmas & the New Years!

No comments: