Monday, November 14, 2011

Dinners & a Craft Project

Good morning!

This weekend was beautiful in the Shenandoah Valley & I went wine tasting with the girls on Saturday and worked out in the yard Sunday. It was a great weekend.

Late last week I got to working on my sisters Christmas present and I finished it up Friday night. I pulled some inspiration from Pinterest & Design Sponge and decided to make Steph one of these postcard calendar journals.

Here's how it turned out:



Sorry for the glare on the desk. I think it looks really cute. I ordered the ceramic berry basket from Sur la Table, I used scrapbook paper instead of postcards & I bought the date stamper & index cards. This really only took me about an hour and a half to make total and I think Steph will really enjoy it over the years.

As for the Secret Santa present - I decided to go with the cards and have already cut out her initial from scrap book paper & I have cream card stock that I'll attach the initial to. I will also make envelopes (or try!) to put with the cards.

As for meals - -

Monday I had leftovers

Tuesday was my birthday so I had a large, awesome lunch at the Cheesecake Factory with the family and then decided I wanted something smaller for dinner so we headed to Chipotle then met up with a friend at Sweet Frogs (frozen yogurt place where you add all the toppings you want & then you pay by the ounce) for dessert.

Wednesday - - I can not for the life of me remember what I ate for dinner...

Thursday, I ate Chipolte for lunch (yes, again, I love Chipotle) with my dad and then I had a gluten-free crab cake with Alfredo sauce and spaghetti noodles. These crab cakes were ones my dad bought (he said at Bloom) and they were delicious. I had never had crab cakes but I will be on the look out for these again. I will look up the name of the company soon and let you know.

Friday, I finally made the Corn-Bread topped Sausage Pie and it was very tasty. It was actually a very fast meal to make and I have to say that it actually tasted better as left overs.

For this week's meals:

Monday - Lasagna
Tuesday - leftovers (Corn-bread topped sausage pie & lasagna)
Wednesday - Shrimp stir fry (I have the recipe for the stir-fry sauce but I forgot to bring it to work today)
Thursday - Chicken with Sun-dried Tomatoes (that I haven't gotten to make from last week)
Friday - leftovers

I went ahead and made the lasagna yesterday afternoon since it takes awhile to prepare & I have a meeting tonight & won't get home until close to 8.

The lasagna had no recipe as I just adjust, etc as needed, but here's what I used:

2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion - chopped
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1&1/2 large containers of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
parsley & basil
1 large can tomato sauce
2 small cans diced tomatoes
1 large Ball jar of tomato sauce (canned earlier in the summer - you can substitute another small can of diced tomatoes & tomato sauce & thrown in some herbs)
2 containers of mushrooms - sauteed
2 small packages of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 package gluten-free lasagna noodles
1 box of no-boiling required 'regular' lasagna noodles

I cooked the gluten-free noodles as directed.
Brown the meat, onions & garlic together and then drain and set aside.
Saute the mushrooms with a little garlic powder, minced, dried onions, & a dash or two of red-pepper flakes.
Mix together 1 container of ricotta with 1 egg, some parsley, and basil.
Mix together the tomato sauces & diced tomatoes.
Pull out your mozzarella cheese.

Once noodles are cooked, lay one layer of them in one greased/sprayed casserole pan. Sprinkle a bit of the meat on top of this, add some sauce, some of the mushrooms, spread the ricotta mixture on top, and sprinkle some cheese.

Repeat this process with the 'regular' noodles.
Repeat process again with the gluten-free noodles & again with the 'regular' noodles.

I ended with a layer of noodles, sauce, and then just mozzarella cheese as the last layer.

I have not tasted this yet, but my boyfriend said it tasted very good.

Hopefully I'll be back later this week with some finished cards for my Secret Santa!

No comments: