Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Food Critique: Knossos Cafe

So while driving to Front Royal yesterday to meet up with Kath, I had a sudden inspiration for a new blog "series". I'm going to tell you what's good & what's bad in regards to restaurants that I've been to* & keep a nice running list of one's I'd like to go to. Now, I live in Berryville, mind you, so there's not a whole lot going on in the restaurant department around here, but I may spread my restaurant wings to Winchester, Leesburg, & surrounding areas.

So to start with - - I can tell you - that when I first moved to Berryville in April/May, I did not have a thing in my refrigerator, so of course I located the closest thing to my house that served food & ate there. Well, let me just say, this place is directly across the street from my house:




Knossos Cafe - Berryville
this place has a great steak & cheese sub (no bun, of course!) & a bangin' Greek Salad that has slices of their gyro meat on it along with feta cheese & olives. It is Ah-May-ZING.

sadly, I did a little searching to see if they had a website (yeah right, they don't even have central AC! juuust kidding!!) but in searching for their website I stumbled across several things; 1 - a blog post from a year ago written by a guy from Hamilton/Leesburg stating that he actually had food poisoning from eating here & 2 - a report from city-data.com stating that they had several health inspector violations (last one dated August 2009) & 3 - they do NOT in fact have a website.

The service here is sometimes a little frosty as it appears that no one really likes to work at this cafe, but many times you'll get some pleasantries.

VERDICT: I thoroughly enjoy their food but after these findings, eat at your own risk! =)

* note - - a co-worker of mine has decided to take on the list of top 100 restaurants in the D.C/Metro area & visit each one within 2010. He has a better plan than mine & is actually doing well, having visited close to half of the restaurants on the list already

No comments: